Sunday 17th June 2012by nelliedog
Another recipe! My mother-in-law has a great recipe for a cinnamon swirl bundt cake that my husband adores. Now that we’re vegan, though, it needed some adaptations. The original recipe uses a boxed cake mix and eggs. Here’s what I came up with for the vegan version, using The Misfit Baker’s Cinnamon Bundt Cake recipe as a starting point for veganizing. I changed The Misfit Baker’s recipe to decrease the fat, make the “swirl,” and keep the flavor of my mother-in-law’s original recipe.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp imitation butter extract (OK, this is not the kind of all-natural ingredient I usually would use, but it’s in my mother-in-law’s recipe!)
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, salt, and baking soda. Combine cinnamon with remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and set aside.
- Mix water, canola oil, applesauce, vinegar, and extracts. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour half of batter into prepared bundt pan. Pour half of sugar-cinnamon mixture on top of batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the sugar-cinnamon mixture into the batter. Don’t combine it completely or you won’t have visible swirls!
- Pour second half of batter into pan, top with remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture, and swirl again.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes (or forget about it for an hour or so like I did), then transfer to wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top if desired. (It nicely covers any imperfections in the cake surface.)